Things to Do in DC

Four years is a long time to stay anywhere, even in a city as vibrant as Washington, D.C. When classes are a bit too stressful, campus can feel a bit claustrophobic, and the urban setting may not be exactly what you need. Nature can be the perfect escape; luckily, Georgetown University is situated near many idyllic nature escapes. While many of them may seem utterly forbidding during the winter, the gorgeous color change of the leaves in autumn and the rebirth of life in spring are perfect opportunities to breathe in some crisp fresh air.

Adams Morgan Day Festival  — Sept. 8

From the hours of 12 p.m. to 6 p.m., residents of Adams Morgan and the surrounding area are invited to attend a multi-block street festival, which features live music, cultural performances and a number of other activities. The event not only celebrates Adams Morgan’s rich history and diversity, but also highlights the neighborhood’s businesses, restaurants and artisans; at food stalls, visitors can sample different world cuisines, and people can attend workshops and activities led by local artists. Adams Morgan Day, which is staffed entirely by volunteers, just celebrated its 40th year, making it the longest-running neighborhood festival in Washington, D.C., as well as one of its most beloved cultural traditions. Luckily for Georgetown students, the historic neighborhood is just a 15-minute drive from the front gates.

H Street Festival  — Sept. 21

Located in one of D.C.’s most popular neighborhoods, the H Street Festival stretches 11 blocks and features 14 different staging areas that showcase a variety of live music and dance performances, local D.C. artists, contests and family-friendly activities. It has grown into a festival that attracts more than 150,000 attendees by utilizing the arts as the main motivator for the event, which could make for a great experience with new people as you first explore the city.

Taste of Georgetown  — Sept. 22

Showcasing 60 signature dishes from 30 local restaurants, this festival highlights the best food that Georgetown has to offer. In the past, attendees have been able to enjoy sweet treats from popular bakeries and shops like Cafe Bonaparte and Baked & Wired, as well as diverse tastings from popular restaurants like Chaia Tacos, late-night Lebanese eatery Muncheez and Bodega, which serves Spanish tapas and drinks. Students can purchase tickets the day of the event and proceeds benefit the Georgetown Ministry Center, which works to create programs and provide services for those experiencing homelessness. The festival takes place on K Street between Wisconsin Avenue and Thomas Jefferson Street.

Big Hunt — Oct. 5

Every fall, freshmen and transfer students are invited to take part in the Big Hunt, a popular tradition at Georgetown. The scavenger hunt sends its participants across the District in search of clues, helping them become better acquainted with their new home. The event is well-known for awarding winners of the scavenger hunt with an assortment of wonderful prizes, which have typically been donated by student organizations and local businesses. Some past winners of the Big Hunt have been gifted private tours of D.C. monuments, box seat tickets for games at the Verizon Center, dinners at upscale Georgetown restaurant 1789 and gift cards for The Tombs, a Georgetown staple restaurant and pub beloved by students and faculty.

All Things Go Fall Classic  — Oct. 12 and 13

Hosted annually in D.C.’s historic Union Market, the All Things Go Fall Classic stretches across two days and features performances from a variety of emerging artists. This year, CHVRCHES and Melanie Martinez will headline the event along with appearances from LANY, COIN, Betty Who and Olivia O’Brien. Tickets can be purchased online for one-day or two-day general admissions and VIP tickets starting at $69. The festival also brings a diverse selection of food vendors.

File Photo: Charlie Lowe/The Hoya