Simply Easy Learning
New Student Guide 2020

August 20, 2020

The Hoya Answers Your Questions!

We wanted to make sure the New Student Guide had as many answers to the questions you all actually care about as possible, so we thought we’d ask you directly. Here are some of the questions you sent to us, answered directly to you in our first ever Hoya advice column. Our DMs are always open, so feel free to reach out if you don’t see one of your burning questions here. We’ve been around for 100 years, so hopefully we have something helpful to say. 

How do I have friends virtually?

Check out our article on making virtual friends here!

How to deal with imposter syndrome?

Dear Real Deal,

If you got accepted to Georgetown University, you deserve to be here. The admissions committee decided you were able to handle the rigor and you absolutely are. Everyone feels out of their depth when it comes to freshman year, so do not feel like you are alone. 

-Colby

Finding people who you can relate to on campus can be really helpful because their success and acceptance helps you know you are meant to be here. Student groups are a great way to find people who make you feel seen, and spaces exist that offer really great support on the issue of imposter syndrome in particular. Some affinity and other groups also have mentorship programs that can help facilitate that relationship. Events will sometimes even be held on the issue of imposter syndrome, so be on the lookout for those. Remember that you are not alone, you do deserve to be here and there is no one definition or standard for success. Obviously, it’s easier said than done, but it’s a process! 

-Kiera

How were online classes in the spring?

Definitely depends on the class and the professor, but, fear not, we have a whole article on Zoom University advice for you here!

Best classes at Georgetown?

Dear Collecting Classes, here is a beginning list from The Hoya family:

• Anything with Ann Oldenburg! -Riley and Connor
  • Gen Chem with Professor Glick and Orgo with Professor Weiss -Julia
  • Ecotopian Visions with Randall Amster -Connor
  • Intro to Sociology with Brian McCabe (He made me love sociology, and his class was the only time I ever doubted my [nursing] major!) -Colby
  • Anything with Professor Ismini Lamb! (She’s a sweetheart who had a hat day over Zoom and also asked us if we would rather have 10 siblings or be an only child, absolute legend!) -Michelle
  • Problem of God with Tarmo Toom and Stats with Oded Meyer, also anything with Kimberly Sellers! -Grace
  • U.S. Women’s History with Professor Benton-Cohen -Riley
  • Intro to Language, any psych class Abigail Marsh teaches and Children’s Lit with Professor Harwick -Katherine
  • Austen with Professor Harwick! -Kiera
  • Caetlin Benson-Allott is a queen, and her Queer Cinema course is amazing! -Kiera
  • Intro to WGST with anyone but especially with You-Me Park – Madeline
  • David Edelstein for IR; Charles “The King” King for CPS; Richard “Charlie Day” Boyd for PST; Mehmet “Tardy Temple” Sayilgan for PoG; Fuad “Come On Guys” Hasanov for International Finance -Jaime
  • Ethnicity, Race and Nation with Charles King -Connor

Which profs are consensus, all-Hoyas avoid like the plague? 

Here is some advice on how to avoid bad professors instead: 

Dear Perusing Profs,

Everyone knows some professors are boring, tough graders and assign way too much reading. We could provide you with a list of some of the worst offenders, but professors change year to year and sometimes they evolve and improve their courses. For a long-term teacher vetting strategy, Rate My Professor is every college student’s dirty little open secret. 

A general rule of thumb is to seek out professors with an overall rating of 3.0 or more. Some students even limit their professor search to a minimum of 4.0, but that could be an overly ambitious approach. You have to remember your schedule might not permit you to take all courses from professors with rave reviews. 

When you run into a scheduling conflict (pro tip: Classy by The Corp is a MUST to plan your registration) or a highly rated professor’s course fills up, take a deep dive into the written reviews and rating breakdown. Keywords “get ready to read,” or “tough grader,” alongside a “would take again rate” under 50% would be an iffy sign. 

Rate My Professor is a college essential, but remember consulting friends, group chats and upperclassmen in your major or minor is another way to learn whom to register for and whom to “avoid like the plague.” You can’t beat a first-person recommendation, but keep in mind, a professor who gels with one student might rub someone else the wrong way. 

Of course, don’t fret if you end up taking your second, third or fourth choice professor. It happens. Sometimes they end up being the professors you click with the most. You might land with someone who elevates your academics to the next level. There are always ways to make the most of your courses. Going to office hours and attending class as often as you can usually go a long way. There’s always add/drop if you’re really unhappy with your choice, and there’s no shame in a course withdrawal.

-Riley 

Ok, so … what is club culture?

Dear Club Confused, 

Because Georgetown does not officially recognize Greek life on campus, only about 10% of Hoyas participate in it. As such, Georgetown has developed a club culture in which most social gatherings on campus are tied to different clubs ranging from consulting to performing arts. This club culture can seem incredibly stressful if you want to make sure you are not left out and are making the most of your college experience. But, it’s more important to join clubs that align with what you enjoy doing and not necessarily just clubs that throw the most parties. That way, you can make your college experience your own and not try to live up to everyone else’s expectations.

-Allan

When is Club Fair? How is it going to work?

• How do first years typically join clubs? Will that opportunity be available remotely this sem?

Check out our article on the club process here! Virtual CAB Fair will take place Aug. 29-Sept. 1, and make sure to look for The Hoya! At our virtual CAB fair table, we can tell you about all the different opportunities there are for you to get involved with the best journalism community on campus. 

What will Catholic ministry look like, both ‘campus activities’ and retreats?

Dear Catholic Questioner,

Most programming for Catholic ministry will be online this semester, but staff and student leaders are working hard to make virtual mass, small faith groups, retreats and social events accessible and fun for all first-year students! Check out Catholic ministry’s website for more information on mass times, different programs you can join and contact information for all the fantastic ministers on campus. For those of you who come from different faith backgrounds and want to connect with ministry on campus, the Campus Ministry website has all the information you need!

-Madeline

Will The Hoya have opportunities for virtual application this year?

Even though The Hoya will not be appearing in print this year, we will be fully operational as an online-only paper! Look out for recruitment to open Aug. 27 on our social media!