Shopping in DC

At some point during your time at Georgetown University, you may realize that your favorite shirt or goto yoga pants need some replacing. Fear not! The Hilltop puts you in the perfect location to access some of the best shopping scenes in the Washington, D.C.-Maryland-Virginia area

Ranging from attainable fashion to high-end classics and from preppy to athleisure, you are sure to find whatever suits your style needs within walking distance, a quick bus trip with the Georgetown University Transportation Shuttle or even a Metro ride away.

Just about every name-brand style outlet has a storefront in the Georgetown neighborhood. Wallet-friendly options like H&M, Forever 21 and T.J. Maxx (all located at 3222 M St. NW) cater to your basic needs and party favorites without draining your bank account or your walking energy. Slightly pricier shops like Urban Outfitters (3111 M St. NW), Free People (3009 M St. NW) and Francesca’s (3128 M St. NW) also provide everyday attire options for the average Hoya.

West Coast staples like Madewell (1237 Wisconsin Ave. NW), Brandy Melville (3307-B M St. NW) and Chubbies (1251 Wisconsin Ave. NW) offer a taste of home for those in need of a little sun or denim, while classic Northeast prep shops like Vineyard Vines (1225 Wisconsin Ave. NW), Ralph Lauren (1245 Wisconsin Ave. NW) and Lilly Pulitzer (1079 Wisconsin Ave. NW) offer just about any pastel polo or floral frill you’ll need to match the masses strolling through Healy lawn.

At some point in your Georgetown career, you may find yourself a guest at a sports team semi-formal, a club gala or the School of Foreign Service’s Diplomatic Ball while lacking the proper attire. In these cases, shops like Brooks Brothers (3077 M St. NW), Rent the Runway (3336 M St. NW) and Alice + Olivia (3303 M St. NW) are your best bets for a quick stitch or ball gown.

In a similar sense, you may find that your club interview or dream internship requires business-casual attire. Banana Republic (3200 M St. NW), J. Crew (3262 M St. NW), LOFT (1239 Wisconsin Ave. NW) and COS (1200 Wisconsin Ave. NW) are sure to refresh your professional wardrobe.

D.C. is also ranked among the most active cities in the United States, and Georgetown students’ love for runs, hikes and SoulCycle (1042 Wisconsin Ave. NW) supports that statistic. Embrace your sporty side with a trip to Nike (3040 M St. NW), Athleta (3229 M St. NW), Patagonia (3104 M St. NW), Outdoor Voices (3025 M St. NW) or Lululemon (3265 M St. NW) for yoga pants, gym shorts or whatever else you may need.

Of course, the fashionista in you may drive you to look beyond the intersection of M Street and Wisconsin Avenue. No need to worry: A quick GUTS bus ride across the Francis Scott Key Bridge to the Metro’s Rosslyn, Va. station grants you access to the Blue line ride to the Fashion Centre at Pentagon City and the Silver line ride to Tysons Corner Center, both fantastic malls with classic department stores. The District is also home to more independent options like Joint Custody (1530 U St. NW) or Current Boutique (1809 14th St. NW). Happy shopping!

File Photo: Daniel Smith/The Hoya