Simply Easy Learning
New Student Guide 2020

August 18, 2020

Letter From the Editor

Dear New Hoya,

Welcome to the virtual Hilltop! Everyone here at The Hoya, Georgetown University’s student newspaper of record since 1920, is so excited to meet you, even if it’s through a frozen Zoom screen. Obviously, these next few months are not the semester any of us expected. I certainly was not thinking my senior year would look like this. Just because this semester is not ideal, though, does not mean you can’t have an incredible beginning to your Hoya experience. Normally you’d be reading this New Student Guide, whether you wanted to or not, as a full glossy magazine slipped under your freshman dorm room door by some stealthy members of The Hoya. 

Through this abbreviated version of our annual New Student Guide, we hope we can offer you some helpful advice on some of the things you might be most confused about as we head into our first fully virtual semester: How does Zoom University work? Will clubs still be a thing? What resources will be available to me? How will I make friends? You can also check out previous years of our New Student Guide if you want some idea of what to look forward to when we can all be Hoyas in person again. 

We know that no guide can answer every question you might have or fix any problem that you might be going through right now, but we hope it can alleviate some of the worries taking up headspace right now. Please know The Hoya is here for you. Our direct messages are always open, and we are a club full of actual Georgetown students who want to help you have the best Hilltop experience possible. As a student newspaper, we also want to be a daily resource for you while you’re on or off campus. Our job is to document all the issues affecting our campus, so looking at our recent coverage is one of the best ways to get a sense of what Georgetown is really like. Furthermore, if you see something we are not covering, we are always open to tips. We are here to serve you. 

Georgetown is by no means perfect. The GU272 Advocacy Team, the Black Survivors Coalition and @actuallyholdgtownaccountable are just some of the groups proving how far Georgetown has left to go. As a Hoya, though, you have the opportunity to be a part of a generation that makes our school better. Just because the semester is going to be virtual does not mean you will not have access to community or opportunity. And if you see Georgetown failing to give you that access and opportunity, let us know. We will help spotlight that issue with you.

No matter what, I will always be grateful I came to Georgetown because I’ve met people I know will be a part of my life forever and taken courses that have made a significant impact on my worldview. I hope this guide makes you feel a little more hopeful, maybe makes you laugh and at least does not make your day actively worse. Thank you so much for reading!

Kiera (COL ’21) 

Editor-in-Chief