D.C., New Student Guide 2017

July 30, 2017

Shopping in DC

Tags:

At some point during your time at Georgetown or perhaps even as you arrive in D.C., you may realize that your favorite high school hoodie or go-to yoga pants need some replacing. Lucky for you, being on the Hilltop puts you in the perfect location to access some of the best shopping scenes in the DMV area.

Ranging from fast-fashion to high-end and prep school to athleisure, you are sure to find whatever suits your style needs within walking distance or an easy Metro ride away.

Just about every name-brand style outlet has a storefront in the Georgetown neighborhood. Wallet-friendly options like H&M, Forever 21 and T.J. Maxx (all located at 3222 M St. NW) cater to your basic needs and party favorites without draining your bank account or too much walking energy. Slightly pricier shops like Urban Outfitters (3111 M St. NW), Zara (1238 Wisconsin Ave. NW) and Francesca’s (3128 M St. NW) also provide everyday attire options for the average Hoya.

West Coast staples like Gap (1258 Wisconsin Ave. NW), Brandy Melville (3307-B M St. NW) and new arrival Chubbies (3025 M St. NW) offer a taste of home for those in need of a little sun or denim, while classic northeast prep shops like Vineyard Vines (1225 Wisconsin Ave. NW), Ralph Lauren (1245 Wisconsin Ave. NW) and Lily Pulitzer (1079 Wisconsin Ave. NW) offer just about any pastel polo or floral frill you’ll need to immerse yourself in stereotypical Georgetown attire.

At some point in your Georgetown career, you may find yourself a guest at a sports team semi-formal, a club gala or the SFS’s Diplomatic Ball while lacking the proper attire. In these cases, shops like Brooks Brothers (3077 M St. NW), Rent the Runway (3336 M St. NW) and Alice + Olivia (3303 M St. NW) are your best bets for a quick stitch or ball gown.

In a similar sense, you may expect to find your dream internship or job during your four years at Georgetown and may have to restock your professional wardrobe. Banana Republic (3200 M St. NW), J. Crew (3222 M St. NW), LOFT (1239 Wisconsin Ave. NW) and COS (1200 Wisconsin Ave. NW) can suit you up for the perfect interview. For matching shoes, DSW (3222 M St. NW) provides the sole selection you are looking for.

Washington, D.C., is also ranked among the most active cities in the U.S., and Georgetown students’ love for runs, hikes and SoulCycle backs that up. Embrace your sporty side with a trip to Nike (3040 M St. NW), Athleta (3229 M St. NW), North Face (3333 M St. NW) or the newly renovated Lululemon (3265 M St. NW) for yoga pants, gym shorts or whatever you fancy.

And of course, the fashionista in you may from time to time drive you to look beyond the intersection of M Street and Wisconsin. No need to worry: A quick GUTS bus ride across the Francis Scott Key Bridge to the Washington Metropolitan Transit Authority’s Rosslyn station grants you access to the Blue Line ride to the Fashion Centre at Pentagon City and the Silver Line ride to Tyson’s Corner Center, both fantastic malls with Macy’s, Bloomingdale’s and Nordstroms galore. Happy shopping!