Campus Life, New Student Guide 2018

August 14, 2018

Part-Time Jobs

Tags: , , , , ,

College can be expensive, and Georgetown University is no exception. After a few months of weekend restaurant dinners with friends, Uber rides, late-night snack cravings and the unexpected day-to-day expenses of living away from home, many students find that their wallets are a lot lighter than they would prefer. Other Hoyas may want to get a head start on bringing in income or help their families contribute to the cost of attendance. Luckily, there are plenty of part-time job opportunities and resources available to students both on and off campus.

Student Employment Office Website
The easiest way to start your job hunt is by checking out the Georgetown Student Employment Office website: seo.georgetown.edu.

After logging in with your NetID, you can gain access to HoyaWorks, the SEO’s job board. Many on- and off-campus employers — including different academic departments, professors, local businesses and parents seeking tutors or babysitters — advertise job openings through this website. Especially helpful for students with federal work-study awards, HoyaWorks directs you to narrow down your search by funding source: Off-Campus Federal Work Study, Off-Campus Private Sector, On-Campus Federal Work Study and On-Campus Non-Work Study Jobs. Then, you can filter by the date the job was posted, hours per week and wage. If you have included off-campus jobs in your search, make sure to click the “I agree” button on the off-campus job disclaimer on the following page to see the postings.

Some on-campus departments and offices only grant employment to students with work-study, and students with work-study must still go through the application process and be hired by an on-campus employer to earn their award amount. All students employed on campus are paid the Washington, D.C. minimum wage, which increased to $13.25 per hour July 1, 2018. For most on-campus jobs, you can apply through the site, though both some on-campus and off-campus jobs will require you to apply through other specified means.

The site is full of great opportunities for new students and is particularly active during August, so it may benefit you to start looking for a job before you even step foot on the Hilltop. If you intend to work straight away, it may work best to find a job on campus, at least for the first semester or two. Finding jobs on campus eases the transition into balancing work and school. On-campus employers tend to be accommodating and understanding of students’ responsibilities outside of work. You may also have more flexibility in scheduling your work hours, as running across campus to your job after a class or a club meeting is much easier than budgeting in time to walk or commute to an off-campus job.

Popular and common on-campus jobs include working at Yates Fieldhouse, in Lauinger Library, as a clerical assistant in an office and as a student guard — swiping students’ GOCards — at the front desk of buildings around campus. Student guard job postings can be found at police.georgetown.edu.

Students can also apply to work for the student-run corporation Students of Georgetown, Inc., more commonly known as The Corp, which offers a variety of jobs at its various storefronts, as well as in accounting, marketing, catering and IT. The Corp hires new employees every fall and spring; more information about the application and hiring process can be found at thecorp.org.

Off-Campus
One of the handiest functions of the SEO website is the off-campus postings: You can find off-campus tutoring, housework, pet-sitting and babysitting opportunities there. Of course, not all potential off-campus employers post on the SEO website. The Georgetown area has a vast number of job opportunities available for students interested in working at restaurants or in retail. Georgetown Cupcake, Saxbys, Vineyard Vines, Grace Street Coffee, South Block Juice Company and The Tombs are just a few of the many businesses near campus known for employing Georgetown students on a regular basis. Most of the stores and restaurants in the area make applications available on their websites or in person. It never hurts to ask if your favorite store or restaurant is hiring next time you are there. You can also find opportunities posted on bulletin boards in Saxbys and around campus.

Center for Social Justice
The Center for Social Justice Research, Teaching and Service is another fantastic resource for students with work-study awards, as well as those looking to serve the greater D.C. community through volunteering. The CSJ runs a variety of tutoring, mentoring and advocacy programs dedicated to the common good and the welfare of all. Popular programs include the D.C. Schools Project, which provides English-language tutoring for immigrants of all ages in the District; D.C. Reads, which assists elementary school students who are a level or more behind in literacy skills; After School Kids Program, which provides mentoring and tutoring to youth in the D.C. metropolitan area who have had interactions with the court system; and the HOME Program, which partners with the Georgetown Ministry Center to provide individuals experiencing homelessness with resources, outreach and a safe environment. You can register your interest and be placed on the mailing list for these programs on the CSJ’s website now. Besides being popular, well-organized programs — for which transportation is often provided — the programs run by the CSJ are a wonderful way for you to leave the Georgetown bubble and interact with the greater D.C. community.

Internships and the Cawley Career Center
Jumping into an internship is probably an unwise decision during your first semester, or even your first year: They often require commutes and can have stricter requirements on the minimum number of hours you have to work per week. However, it is never too early to start considering which internship opportunities you may want to pursue later, either during a semester or over the summer. Talking to upperclassmen and exploring careercenter.georgetown.edu are good places to start. The Cawley Career Education Center also offers plenty of resources, including counseling appointments, to answer your internship inquiries. The center is a completely free resource that many Hoyas never take advantage of. The career counseling, resume workshops and cover letter advice are informative and reassuring for students a little overwhelmed by the job process or hoping to plan ahead for graduate school or careers after graduation. Through the career center, the online database Hoya Career Connections also offers students a plethora of internship, job and volunteer opportunities in a variety of cities in many fields.

International Students
If you are an international student studying at Georgetown on a student visa, make sure you talk to your international student adviser to discuss the restrictions on your permission to work. Some international students are eligible for on-campus employment and some off-campus opportunities, but the Office of Global Services advises international students not to plan to meet their educational or personal living expenses through employment earnings. International students should never apply, accept or engage in any off-campus employment, fellowships or paid or unpaid job training without the prior authorization of the Office of Global Services. OGS does hold employment workshops throughout the semester that are extremely helpful for international students interested in off-campus employment. For more information, check out the resources in the short list or go to internationalservices.georgetown.edu.

Short List
Student Employment Office Website
CSJ Programs
Cawley Career Center Job & Internship Information
Hoya Career Connection
Resume and Cover Letter Tips
Financial Aid and Federal-Work Study Information
International Student and Scholar Services Home Page
International Student Employment
F-1 Visa Employment
J-1 Visa Employment