Food, New Student Guide 2017

July 30, 2017

On-Campus Dining

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Although both the Georgetown neighborhood and Washington, D.C., boast a wealth of dining options to choose from, many students find early on in their Georgetown careers that consistently financing dinners on M Street is pretty unrealistic. Sweetgreen, Dean and DeLuca and Baked and Wired are all great options for the occasional splurge, but between busy class schedules and extracurriculars, the majority of Georgetown students will stick to mostly on-campus dining options. Luckily, Georgetown’s campus is stocked full of a wide variety of cafes, sit-down eats and on-the-go options to satisfy your needs. Get to know our on-campus dining options with this guide.

O’Donovan Hall — Accepts meal swipes

O’Donovan Hall, lovingly known as Leo’s, is Georgetown’s only dining hall, which is undergoing a complete renovation this summer in time for the start of classes in late August. Although upperclassmen may reminisce about Chicken Finger Thursday, Sunday brunch and the pasta line, this fall, Hoyas can expect a dramatic upgrade in the both the range of options and the quality of the food at Leo’s. The upper level will become LEO|MKT with retail-style options, including Whisk Bakery, which will serve pastries and coffee from local businesses District Doughnut and Commonwealth Joe Coffee Roasters. The lower level will transform into Fresh Food Company, which will be more traditional, cafeteria-style dining but with an increased variety of vegetarian, vegan and halal options. Despite these dramatic changes, the same rules still apply on how to make the most of your meal swipes at Leo’s: create variety. The key is constantly switching up which stations you go to and being unafraid to mix and match ingredients from different areas or even different floors of the dining hall. No matter what’s on your plate, Leo’s will undoubtedly become the social hub of your freshman year, where you will share countless meals and conversations with your classmates. When you go home for break, you might even miss it.

Bulldog Tavern — Accepts Debit Dollars

Located in the Healey Family Student Center below New South, Bulldog Tavern has a cozy restaurant and bar atmosphere that will make you feel like you are dining out without ever having to leave campus. Partly staffed by students, the tavern features a menu full of pub fare such as nachos, burgers, bread-bowl soups, wings and a signature Nutella shake. Bulldog trivia nights have become a student favorite, and the takeout window provides an endless supply of cheesy fries for your study snack needs.

The Hilltoss — Accepts Debit and Flex Dollars

The Hilltoss, opened in 2014, is the newest business operated by Students of Georgetown, Inc. — better known as The Corp — which serves made-to-order salads, smoothies and acai bowls. Located in the Healey Family Student Center, Hilltoss is perfectly situated near study hubs like Lauinger Library and the HFSC for a healthy meal when you’re hitting the books. The menu is full of fresh ingredients and dressings. A personal favorite is the Jay Gatsby, made with strawberries, avocado, goat cheese and blush wine vinaigrette. The smoothies and acai bowls are non-traditional breakfast options you can’t find anywhere else on campus, ideal for starting your day off energized and focused.

Market Place Express Grab ‘n’ Go — Accepts meal swipes

Sometimes, there is simply not enough time to sit down and enjoy a meal between classes, which is when Grab ‘n’ Go becomes priceless. Down the hall from Hoya Court inside the Leavey Center near the Georgetown University Hotel and Conference Center, Market Place Express offers a selection of hot meals as well as sandwiches, salads, wraps, bagels, chips, fruit and yogurt for a single meal swipe.

Vital Vittles and Hoya Snaxa — Accept Debit and Flex Dollars

If you live in Village C or Darnall Hall, Hoya Snaxa and Vital Vittles will soon become your go-to stops for snacks and groceries for your dorm room. The Corp-run stores could sustain you for an entire semester: Snaxa, located under the archway in the Southwest Quadrangle, will satisfy your chip and slushie needs while Vittles, located inside the Leavey Center, is stocked full of groceries, microwaveable meals and pharmacy products to save you the trip to Safeway or CVS.

The Midnight MUG, Uncommon Grounds and More Uncommon Grounds — Accept Debit and Flex Dollars

Although you may have survived high school caffeine free, you might soon find yourself desperate for a pick-me-up before a long night of studying or your 9 a.m. class. This is where The Corp’s coffee shops come in, conveniently dispersed throughout campus so that you’re never far from a cup of coffee or tea to keep you going. The Midnight MUG, open until 2 a.m. Sunday through Wednesday, is the most critical of the three for its prime location on the always-bustling second floor of Lau. The Intercultural Center’s More Uncommon Grounds coffee stand will fuel your pre-class needs and Uncommon Grounds, relocating to the second floor of the Georgetown University Bookstore, is soon to provide an open space for studying or relaxing atop the Leavey Esplanade.

Epicurean and Co. — Accepts Debit and Flex Dollars

Your freshman year will not be complete without many trips to Darnall Hall’s Epicurean and Co., a buffet-style alternative to the repetition of Leo’s and the most accessible dining option for freshmen living in Darnall. Epi boasts fully stocked sushi, noodle and salad bars and a range of made-to-order sandwiches and pizzas. But the true stars of the menu are the quesadillas and onion rings, late-night staples of the Georgetown social scene, especially on the weekends. Epi is open nearly 24/7, only closed briefly between late Sunday night and early Monday morning, making it ideal for midnight snacks and post-game gorging.

Hoya Court  — Accepts Debit and Flex Dollars

An up-and-coming highlight is the newly renovated Hoya Court, which will feature our very own on-campus Chick-fil-A and salad and smoothie shop Crop Chop. Around the corner will be home to a “sandwich concept” called Royal Jacket.  Those of us who like studying in Sellinger Lounge or atop the esplanade will welcome this change to the once-irrelevant Hoya Court.

Einstein Bros. Bagels — Accepts meal swipes, Debit and Flex Dollars

Located on the second floor of The Car Barn on the easternmost edge of campus is Einstein Bros. Bagels, a cafe fully stocked with bagels, sandwiches, smoothies, coffee and shmears of all kinds. A meal swipe at Einstein’s can get you a warm bagel sandwich, coffee and a snack, which may be just what you need before you start your day.