Campus Life, New Student Guide 2017

July 30, 2017

Georgetown Sports Guide

Tags: , , , ,

One of the best aspects of becoming a Hoya is being able to embrace the dynamic sports culture that permeates Georgetown’s campus. Whether it’s basketball, soccer, baseball or any other of Georgetown’s 23 varsity teams, Hoyas are undoubtedly passionate about their sports teams. Georgetown athletics have excelled across the board in men’s and women’s sports, maintaining a prestigious reputation in the Big East conference and also on the national stage – a characteristic not too common amongst schools with such a high academic standing. Below you will find highlights of a few of Georgetown’s more popular sporting events to attend, as well as where and when to catch the games.
Women’s Soccer

Coming off a season capped by a Final Four appearance, interest and involvement has certainly increased around campus for Georgetown’s women’s soccer team.  The program is currently in its 25th year, and with last year’s success, Georgetown soccer looks poised to make another tournament run in 2017. Home games are played at Shaw Field — located next to Yates Field House — where Georgetown students are always found cheering on their fellow Hoyas.

8/27 – Loyola Maryland
9/8 – Saint Francis (PA)
9/10 – Rutgers
9/24 – St. Johns

Men’s Soccer

The men’s soccer team hosts several other Big East powerhouses throughout the year that make for intense, competitive games. Coming off a rocky season last year with a record of 6-9-2, the Blue and Gray are looking to increase their standing in the Big East conference. Whether you’re in the bleachers or behind the net heckling the opposing team’s goalie at Shaw Field, men’s soccer always proves fun for Hoyas.

8/28 – Coastal Carolina
9/1 – Cal Poly
9/4 – UCLA
9/20 – Stony Brook

With its games played at Cooper Field in the heart of campus, Georgetown football provides the classic fanfare and atmosphere of college football on fall Saturdays. Each November, homecoming highlights the Georgetown football fan experience, so make sure to come out and root for your Hoyas as much as possible.

9/16 – Marist
9/30 – Harvard
10/21 – Fordham
11/4 – Lafayette

Men’s Basketball

Georgetown’s flagship athletic program, men’s basketball, perennially cultivates excitement and enthusiasm on campus, throughout Washington, D.C., and on the national stage. Whether you are an avid basketball fan or not, each game is an experience nearly all Hoyas anticipate and enjoy at one point during their time on the hilltop. Led by newly appointed Head Coach Patrick Ewing, the Hoyas are about to begin a new chapter in Georgetown basketball history. The team looks to leave their losing season behind them last year, and with some new talent, create an unforgettable season with Coach Ewing. Home games are played off-campus at the Verizon Center, a professional arena home to both the Washington Capitals and Washington Wizards. Free transportation shuttles are provided by Georgetown. Although games begin in the winter, season tickets go fast, so make sure to reserve your tickets in the fall for an exciting and historic season.

Women’s Basketball

Georgetown’s women’s basketball team also proves to be a contender nearly every year, and although the team plays its games at McDonough Arena, the atmosphere surrounding each game is just as intense. Come winter, be sure to stop by McDonough to cheer on your Hoyas as they navigate the competitive Big East Conference with new Head Coach James Howard.

Women’s Volleyball

The women’s volleyball team also plays its home games at McDonough Arena, and being the only volleyball team on campus, turnout is always high. The Hoyas struggled last season with a very young roster, but this year, with more time to develop and practice as a team, they are ready to contend with their strong Big East opponents. For volleyball and non-volleyball fans alike, a home game in McDonough is surely something you should attend in the fall.

Georgetown athletics excel beyond the teams mentioned above, with golf, cross-country, swimming and diving, tennis, track and field, rowing, sailing, baseball, softball and lacrosse all providing competitive seasons for fans to enjoy on both the men’s and women’s sides. As you explore everything Georgetown has to offer in your first few months on the Hilltop, make sure to appreciate the level of athletic competition found at Georgetown across several sports. Not only do Georgetown athletes compete at some of highest levels possible for collegiate students, they create a fun and enjoyable sports environments for all Hoyas to take advantage of all year long.