Food

August 17, 2015

A Guide to Off-Campus Dining

Tags: , , , , , , ,

While there are plenty of food options available on campus, many students opt to make the short walk off campus where dining choices abound, from fast food favorites to gourmet salads.

WiseysWisey’s
1236 36th St. NW
Although Wisey’s doesn’t offer any seating, it does boast some of the best sandwiches in Georgetown. It’s perfect for lunch or dinner, and since it’s just a block from the front gates, it’s easy to pick up if you want to eat along the Waterfront or plan to be spending your entire night in Lau. Decide for yourself whether the Hot Chick or Chicken Madness is superior. Though this location is technically called Wisemiller’s, be warned: If you refer to Wisey’s as Wisemiller’s, you’ll be pegged instantly as a freshman who hasn’t paid attention to the New Student Guide. Pro tip: Students refer to the location actually called Wisey’s (a few blocks away on Wisconsin Ave.) as Healthy Wisey’s due to its slightly lighter fare.

IMG_5027_The Tombs
1226 36th St. NW
The Tombs is a Georgetown institution. Although you won’t be able to enjoy the bar unless you took three gap years before coming to Georgetown, you can’t go wrong with their chili (a favorite of Liz Taylor’s) or the Bulldog Burger. The famous crew-themed decor will makes The Tombs an instant collegiate classic. Keep in mind, however, that the wait can get pretty long on weekend nights so if you plan on going, make sure you have time to spare.

IMG_5095_Sweetgreen
3333 M St. NW
In case you haven’t heard, salad’s a pretty big deal at Georgetown. Located on M Street just a block from Georgetown Cupcakes, Sweetgreen was founded by Georgetown grads and offers some of the healthiest food you’re probably going to eat all year. Whatever your salad preferences, you can guarantee you can find something you’ll love at Sweetgreen, where every salad comes with a piece of bread and the frozen yogurt rivals Pinkberry’s. They have a special monthly salad, but my personal favorite is the kale Caesar.

Chipotle
3255 M St. NW
With Qdoba gone, Chipotle is easily the king of fast Mexican food on M Street. Just a quick walk from campus, Chipotle is a favorite dining option for students and the big portions ensure that you’ll leave feeling full and maybe even have leftovers. Chipotle is a relatively cheap option for students on a budget. Also, be sure to also check out Chipotle’s Asian-fusion sister restaurant ShopHouse, just a few blocks further down M Street.

Mai Thai
3251 Prospect St. NW
One of the best things about Mai Thai is that it delivers, but whether or not you opt to enjoy your food in your dorm or at the restaurant, you’ll soon develop a dependence on their chicken pad thai. Reasonably priced and consistently good, the large Mai Thai portions can serve as one to three meals. As an added bonus, their sushi far exceeds anything you can buy at on-campus convenience store Vital Vittles. Also, be sure to swing by on your birthday for a free entree!

G11_GoodStuff_OliviaHewittGood Stuff Eatery
3291 M St. NW
A relative newcomer to the Georgetown dining scene (it just opened this past year), Good Stuff has certainly made its mark. With rich, creamy, heavenly milkshakes (the toasted marshmallow is a classic, but the salted caramel is incomparable) and delicious, hearty burgers topped with everything from your classic cheese to eggs and bacon, Good Stuff is perfect for a meal with friends or a casual date-night. If it doesn’t become your go-to place to get your burger or milkshake fix, then you need to reconsider your life choices. They also have five unique types of mayo, so be sure to get an order of fries to sample all of them.

About the author: Kim Bussing is a senior in the College and the former Guide Editor of The Hoya. Food will always hold a special place in her heart. 

Photos: Alexander Brown/The Hoya, Olivia Hewitt/The Hoya